- Canada to grant a 2-year work permit to spouses, common-law partners or working age dependents of a temporary worker starting from January 23.
- In the present, only spouses of high-skilled occupation workers are eligible for a work permit.
- Due to current labour shortage in Canada, this rule will allow over 200,000 foreign workers to work in Canada, thus helping the nation to tackle the issue.
Starting in January, we will introduce a new 2-year temporary measure to expand work permit eligibility to spouses, common-law partners, and working-age dependents of temporary workers of all skill levels. Learn more: https://t.co/t4NPoSkRr1 pic.twitter.com/cBBjyfrCuy
— IRCC (@CitImmCanada) December 2, 2022
On December 2, 2022; Canada IRCC Minister Sean Fraser along with Randy Boissonnault, Minister of Tourism announced that from January 2023 Canada will grant a 2-year work permit to family members to a temporary worker to address the problem of labour shortage in Canada.
Currently, spouses are only eligible for a work permit, if a primary applicant is employed in a high-skilled profession. According to the stats, this new rule will allow nearly 200,000 new foreign workers to start working in Canada which will provide more possibility to foreign workers as well as the employers to address their labour needs.
Boissonnault said, “Labour is the number 1 challenge facing Canada’s tourism sector as we position ourselves for post-pandemic growth. Today, our government is bringing in innovative, family-based solutions to resolve this issue and help our tourism partners grow to meet the global demand for Canadian experiences from coast to coast to coast.”
THE TEMPORARY MEASURE WILL BE IMPLEMENTED IN THREE PHASES TO ENSURE ITS SUCCESSFULL EXECUTION:
- PHASE 1: Will allow family members of foreign worker arriving in Canada through high-wage stream of Temporary Foreign Worker Program or International Mobility Program to apply for an Open Work Permit in Canada.
- PAHSE 2: Is designed to extend the benefits to family members of workers in the low-wage stream of Temporary Foreign Worker Program. This would include families of workers in the health care, trades, and hospitality industries, among others.
- PAHSE 3: This will involve consultation with stakeholders and agricultural partners to evaluate the practicality of extending the benefits to the families of workers in agriculture.
The plan will be implemented in phases starting with the high-wage stream from the Temporary Foreign Worker Program, and the International Mobility Program.
From January 2022 till October 2022, Canada has issued 645,000 work permits which is nearly 4 times higher than the 163,000 issued over the same period in the year 2021.
Fraser stated that the move will not just plug the holes in the Canadian labour market, but also improve the system of immigration to make it much more “compassionate”.
“By recognising that a person who is here making a contribution to our economy, deserves to be with their loved ones while they make that contribution,” he said.
Immigration is playing a crucial part in addressing Canada’s labour shortage, and the government is likely to continue to introduce policies that aim to attract foreign nationals to assist employers in their recruitment needs. The announcement of the immigration Levels Plan of 2023-2025 is proof of the ongoing efforts by the government to increase immigration to Canada to help fill the critical labour shortages on the market.
Keep following Lebiz for such latest updates related to Canada Immigration!!
Also read: https://lebizcanada.com/blogs/changing-jobs-or-employers-on-canadian-closed-work-permit/
[…] jobs or employers on Canadian Closed Work Permit. Spouses of Temporary worker will now be eligible to work in Canada from Jan’2023 Canada Latest newsCanada newsExpress Entry ProgramLatest newsLebiz canada 0 comment 0 […]
Simply want to say your article is as surprising. The clearness to your publish is simply excellent and that i could suppose you are knowledgeable on this subject. Fine along with your permission allow me to seize your RSS feed to keep up to date with imminent post. Thanks 1,000,000 and please carry on the rewarding work.